Dedicated Women’s Health Specialists serves patients from in and around Puyallup, WA and the Tacoma areas. Do you need surgery but don’t have time? In the recent years, there has been a definite trend toward minimally invasive surgical techniques. Many surgical procedures that required “open” technique can now be done with much smaller incisions using tiny instruments. We are involved in continuing medical education to stay abreast of the latest developments in surgical treatment in the field of gynecology. Dedicated Women’s Health Specialists are leading gynecologists and can offer minimally invasive surgical treatment to our patients with a variety of gynecologic conditions.
Minimally Invasive Surgeries Q & A
What is Minimally Invasive Surgery?
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery is usually performed either as a laparoscopic or hysteroscopic procedure. Laparoscopic surgery is an advanced technique which is performed by using tiny incisions in the abdomen through which camera and long, narrow surgical instruments are inserted through thin tubes. Usually, incisions are made near the umbilicus (bellybutton) and since they are very small the patient is able to heal much faster and they will not scar as much. Laparoscopy is customarily performed under general anesthesia and carbon dioxide is employed to inflate the patient’s abdomen, this gives the doctor room to see and work. Hysteroscopy is performed through the vagina where a scope is placed inside the uterine cavity and a variety of conditions can be treated with this method. There is no incision with this procedure.
What Conditions Are Treated with Minimally Invasive Surgery?
· Laparoscopy- This technique can be used to treat ovarian cysts, endometriosis, fibroids, scar tissue or adhesions, benign or malignant tumors, infections including an abscess in the pelvis. We can remove fallopian tubes, ovaries, and perform hysterectomy. Some of our surgeons have developed expertise in performing advanced surgical procedures utilizing robotic instruments (robotic surgery) rather than using conventional laparoscopic instruments in selected circumstances. With robotic instruments, we can perform highly complex procedures that would normally require an “open” technique.
· Hysteroscopy- This technique can be used to obtain targeted biopsies of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), polyps, fibroids, and uterine wall (myometrium). In addition, we can perform removal of masses such as polyps and fibroids as well as surgical correction of uterine septum. Paul H. Eun, MD, at Dedicated Women’s Health Specialists is one of the most experienced hysteroscopic surgeons in the region.
Why Choose Minimally Invasive Surgery?
Advanced surgical techniques allow our patients to recover quickly after surgery with minimal amount of pain and they are able to return to normal activities much sooner. We believe this is a winning combination. Today, most of our surgical operations are performed with minimally invasive methods and open surgery requiring hospitalization has become a rare event at Dedicated Women’s Health Specialists.
In summary, benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
· Very small incisions or no external incisions
· Outpatient- most patients do not require overnight hospital stay
· Less noticeable scars
· Minimal pain
· Quicker recovery
· Quicker return to work or school